Thursday, June 28, 2012

reflection on writing circle 2

In reflecting on the feedback I received from today's Writing Circle, I think that everyone in our group identified with the dilemma I'd described in my Web Log about the idealistic teaching perspective vs the realistic teaching perspective. We concurred that this Educational Foundations class has really made us all aware of issues we will face as teachers and already do as students and products of the American education system. 
It was emphasized that it is in a teacher's best interest to try to stay optimistic in order to maintain utmost motivation for personal best performance as well as for hope for the future of one's students.  We acknowledged that we do not yet know how to balance our teaching perspectives between idealism and realism, and like I have, some groups members have sought experienced sources for commentary on this issue. I had conducted my own surveys this past spring, and other people have talked to experienced teachers they know, and others have discovered informative video interviews with successful teachers who face particularly difficult environments and problems, yet are still able to achieve their goals and stay content in the profession. I plan to seek out similar such videos in order to better inform my expectations. I will also continue to talk about this dilemma with my current and future professors as well as my mentor teacher at St. Ignatius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment