Wednesday, June 27, 2012

musings on idealism vs realism

Disclaimer: the following statements are purely the perspective and thoughts of the author and the implied tone is one absent of judgement. 


So it has come to my attention throughout the many group discussions we have had in this class, as well as through reading the writings of fellow classmates, and through the prompts and directions given by our professor that two main approaches or attitudes exist among us as prospective teachers. They are the following: an optimistic, generally happy and goal-focused, idealistic attitude, and a concerned, uneasy, and restlessly apprehensive attitude of realism. By no means am I implying that these attitudes are permanent or of a fixed concreteness; I certainly believe that meanings of things can shift and change and be multidimensional.  Personally, I am currently of the more realistic state (though admittedly my attitude may convey perceivable pessimism), which I think stems from both my life experiences that have brought me to where I am today, the surveys I've collected from teachers currently in the field, as well as my academic background of economics, which is itself a way of thinking that is, I would say, wholly realistic. 
    What I am attempting to communicate is that when urged to imagine an ideal situation, or in hearing optimistic, lofty goals oriented around a perceived ideal, I find myself feeling frustrated and usually unable to fully buy into the assignment or perspective. My mind goes to many hypothetical situations, potentially rare or not, that conflict with the notion that any ideal is attainable (or most of them at least).  That being said, I find it important to note that my perspective on teaching and on the education field/system in general  is not without its ideals. Usually centered around notions of equality and academic effort, I hold certain tenets as MUSTS; that in my mind, I WILL be able to implement in MY classroom in the future, and it will be GREAT. :) For example, I have a personal intolerance for gender inequality, and I am of the belief that attitudes and behaviors around this issue can be changed for the better, and that an environment can be created that expects nothing less. Of course, my rational mind is telling me to research past attempts at this in order to better inform this perspective, and to not draw any definitive conclusions until I can witness it action.   
    In summary (wow this turned out to be longer than I anticipated), I recognize that for optimal results, it is probably best to ascribe to and embody both of these attitudes of idealism and realism. 



ps- I might write another post later, I just wanted to comment on this theme I'd noticed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment