Thursday, July 5, 2012

reflection on writing circle 4 (and an anecdote)

I have realized that I have not exactly written cohesive, succinct Web Logs in a clear direction of a paper topic. While all of the topics on which I have written in my Web Logs interest me, I am thinking that I want to pursue research on the topic of women's education. I am very interested in uncovering the history and development of education for women, as well as examining any discrimination and biases that existed in various eras of history and in the present.  While I have faint memories of gender bias occurring in the schools I attended, I am reluctant to classify any instance as one of outright discrimination. Favoritism, certainly. Biased expectations, of course. I do recollect feeling intense pressure and competition in terms of academic performance with a few of the recognized smart boys in my classes, but I am inclined to think of it more relative to my perspective rather than historical fact. At the same time, gender equality is an issue on which I am fervently passionate, and I believe that the research I will be doing will be most intriguing and stirring to this passion. 
    I do want to mention one occurrence from my college educational experience. In my senior year at JCU, of course most of my classes were more specialized in my majors, Spanish and Economics, but it was the first time that I was struck by the large ratio of boys to girls in the upper level economics classes.  Actually, by the time we sat for the comprehensive exam in late April, I was surprised to find myself as one of four girls in the Economics major. I learned from a friend two years older than me that there were only two girls in Economics in her class. I was shocked. I hadn't realized that I was a minority in the field, and was startled at the feelings/perceptions that such a realization had on me. I felt much more nervous and insecure about my abilities in the subject. I noticed that it was often myself or one of the other girls who asked the majority of the questions in class, which inclined me to think that meant the boys understood the difficult material as it was first presented, and surely they didn't have to spend hours at home each night studying.  I perceived that possibly this major was too hard for me; that perhaps I should have done something simpler. Mind you, no one had ever vocalized that thought to me, but I think the situation lent itself to contributing to such anxious, doubting thoughts. 
     Anyways, my goal is to tie this experience in my research somehow. Based on this experience, I am eager to explain why the situation was such, and how does this compare to the Economics majors at other universities? I anticipate much work and contemplation this weekend. Feedback and thoughts are much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment